libcvd-members

Re: [Libcvd-members] libcvd cvd/videofilebuffer.h cvd/videofilebuffe...

From: Edward Rosten
Subject: Re: [Libcvd-members] libcvd cvd/videofilebuffer.h cvd/videofilebuffe...
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:45:20 -0600 (MDT)

>       RawVideoFileBuffer is now a templated class. This allows the
> VideoFileBuffer to correctly return frames of type Rgb<byte>.

As fas as I knew, the previous system worked with Rgb<byte> frames. Was
this not the case?

I would prefer it if the code (of which there is a large amount) is kept
in the .cc file, since RawVideoFileBuffer contains almost no type
dependent code.

Essentially, at some point a cast has to happen between ffmpeg's data
(uint_8) and the compile time CVD image type. In the new version, this
happens on line 433 (videofilebuffer.h, version 1.12). The only other
piece of type dependent code is in the allocation of a memory buffer (must
be 3x bigger for Rgb). This could be allocated in VideoFileBiffer
and the data passed as a void pointer, or simply 3x the memory could be
allocated (the old version).

Reducing the amount of code in the headers would speed up compile time and
also give the benefits of shared libraries (ie bugs fixed in the library
code don't require the main program to be recompiled).

-Ed