[Libcdio-devel] Split libiso9660 into its own project? (Was Re: [RFC] Ne

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Split libiso9660 into its own project? (Was Re: [RFC] New API iso9660_statv2_t as API/ABI compatible way to read files >= 4 GiB)
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 18:52:37 -0400

Perhaps what should be done is split off libiso9660 into a separate project
which has its own release cycle?

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 5:29 PM, Pete Batard <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2018.07.08 21:30, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>
>> What if an application is poorly maintained but still in use.
>>

> Well, from seeing the real-life damage this kind of reasoning actually
> incurs, I'm not going to mince my words: For the benefit of end users, and
> no matter how popular they are, applications that are not being maintained
> _must_ be weeded out.

For many projects, I can see your point. But we're talking about  a library
that originally was intended to read CD's; actually, VCD's. In fact that
specifically is where the code came from.  It so happens that VCD to use an
ISO9660 filesystem.

The reality is that the need VCD, CDDA, and CD reading in general and MMC
control has diminished. So this project is a little different than say the
next version of Python where there still is a lot of popularity. There is a
lot less incentive for developers to keep such code up to date. Yet, I
encounter a desire (by perhaps a minority but a vocal one)  to have things
still work.

To move to libcdi 1.0 and 2.0 it was a bit of a hassle to update the
libcdio Perl and Python binding. The Ruby bindings I haven't updated, and
so far no one has said anything.

And then I needed to update vcdimager which has no functional changes, just
changes for the new API. I am not looking forward to doing that again, if
it needs to be done for libiso9660. And when you think about it. I doubt
there are any VCD's in existence than need or use multiple extents. The
filessystem has to fit within the confines of a CD-ROM Disc which is
limited to less than 1GB.

So looking at it from a VCD developer's standpoint: why should I have to
rewrite code as a result decisions made about large ISO-9660 files that
have no bearing on VCDs?

For the last vcdimager update, I justified it to myself because it reduced
memory leaks, (But in truth I don't anyone cared about them.)