Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 1.0.0rc2 is available for testing

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 1.0.0rc2 is available for testing
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 19:51:20 -0500

After making a pass at checking the numerous OS's and distros that I have
available, a number of changes were made to the release candidate. They
changes were more along the line of removing memory leaks, removing more
deprecations, and there was one patch from Thomas Schmitt that
inadvertently didn't get applied.

These are now in 1.0.0rc2 available via http://rocky.github.io/
libcdio-1.0.0rc2.tar.bz2 <http://rocky.github.io/libcdio-1.0.0rc1.tar.bz2>
. Please test if you can.

I'll be making a second pass over the OS's and distros. After this there
will finally be a 1.0.0 release.

Some known deficiencies will remain. Namely: there are still too many
memory leaks; one area this is from are the C list data structure
handling.  Pete Batard brought up issues in multi-part ISO9660's . Thomas
Schmitt brought up better handling of SCSI extended error reporting, and I
am sure he there are few other things that are lacking that he has alluded
to.

After this release though, I'll be looking stepping down from leading this
project. If it hasn't been already clear, others have been leading the
direction and really been doing the work moving this project forward. My
thanks to all.

While BSDI and OS/2 have bitten the dust in this release (and I think AIX
might be on the horizon as well), Microsoft WIndows, FreeBSD, NetBSD and
(to a very small extent) macOS have gotten better. libcdio seems more
solidly available in NetBSD, FreeBSD, a number of Linux distributions and
within the last year I think on cygwin and even MinGW. (Someone had to deal
with iconv on Windows to make this happen.)