Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-TEXT documentation

From: Leon Merten Lohse
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-TEXT documentation
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 18:32:55 +0100

Hi,

I had some trouble to find it, too.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070204035327/http://www.sonydadc.com/file/cdtext.zip
I would rather not rely on this though because they might delete it eventually.

The whole point was to create an open documentation because there was none. The t10 drafts give some really interesting insights into some structural aspects but it does not say much about the data. The Sony doc helped a lot but is very incomplete, too. The sites that come up when googling for CD-Text are either wrong or extremely superficial and most of them just quote Wikipedia (which has an imho horrible article on CD-Text).

Your documentation looks really good to me!
There is one thing, I would add to the genre section:
You can either specify a genre code or the supplementary genre information (without the code) or both. Neither is mandatory. The specification does not say whether the following genre packs hold the two bytes, too or not. In fact even the two standard implementations do not behave the same on this. CDRWIN adds it to every genre pack, while the Sony tool does not. (or was it the other way around, Thomas?). libcdio does compensate for this.

I would rather not call the 0x8f pack "Block Pack" but "Block Size Information", "Block Size", "Block Information" or similar.
Also I would say
       3 : 3 -> CD-TEXT is copyrighted, 0 -> CD-TEXT is not copyrighted
rather than
       3 : libcdio source states: "cd-text information copyright byte"
           Probably 3 means "copyrighted", 0 means "not copyrighted
Actually this byte holds some more information (according to cdda2wavs source code) about program area subchannel copyright (?) if I remember right but not even the Sony tool, which was my and therefore libcdios reference implementation, supports that.

I am going to update the CD-Text libcdio api documentation once I am done fixing it.

Regards
Leon

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:20:44 -0500, Rocky Bernstein wrote:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Thomas Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

> Funny you should bring that up. After registering with Sony at I can't
find
> cdtext.zip on http://www.sonydadc.com

We had to retrieve it from the Wayback machine.

Well, I registered then with Sony for no reason at all. I need to update
the doc so someone else doesn't fall into that trap.

I had looked on the Wayback as well and couldn't find it. Do you have an
exact URL?

Similarly, the free PDFs of SCSI drafts have gone.
See yellow box on http://www.t10.org/drafts.htm
Prices for PDFs of the finalized specs have dropped to 30 USD per doc.
(One would need SPC-3 and one of the MMCs. For CDs i'd advise MMC-3.
 Later versions do not have the annex about CD-TEXT.)

I'd prefer if we could find and use freely available docs. I have no
problem using drafts rather than the final specification especially when
they are the same in the areas we care about.

If folks prefer to buy the final spec - okay. But in OSF projects I work on, I would prefer not to put any pressure or advertising for non-free
documents.

> > 2.2:
> >
> > Should be coordinated with libcdio.texi @node CDRWIN BIN/CUE Format.
> > At least by mutual references.
> > (My .cue example is tested with wodim and cdrskin.)
> >

> Not sure what you mean. If there are still problems let me know.

Not problems. But there is a very sparse paragraph about CDRWIN .cue in libcdio.texi and there is the example in cd-text-format.html. Both are
quite complementary and could take profit from the other.

Ok. Will look in to later.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas