[Libcdio-devel] libcdio-0.83git on Solaris

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio-0.83git on Solaris
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 13:46:25 +0200

Hi,

attached is my proposal how to make the Solaris
driver capable of detecting drives without vold,
and how to implement access mode MMC_RDWR.

There are still some problems to solve:

Executing SCSI commands needs superuser
authority. I do not know yet, whether there
is a finer granulated way to aquire the right
to perform the uscsi ioctl.

When inserting a CD with 5000 files in four
sessions, the operating system rattles the
drive for about 30 seconds.
During that time it is nearly impossible
to do own read operations. The drive even
reports read errors in SCSI sense reply.
I suspect my old enemy hald behind that. >:[

MMC_RDWR_EXCL does not yet trigger a locking
attempt. I need to learn more about Solaris.

There are two alternative ways to identify
CD drives among the /dev/rdsk devices:

- perform SCSI command INQUIRY and look for
  CD-ROM code 5 in byte 0 of reply.
  This relies on SCSI specs SPC-3.

- perform ioctl(DKIOCINFO) and check .dki_ctype
  whether it is DKC_CDROM.
  This relies on Solaris man dkio.
  libcdio already used ioctl(DKIOCGMEDIAINFO)
  and included <dkio.h>

See #ifdef LIBCDIO_SOLARIS_WITH_CD_INQUIRY
Currently it is not defined. I.e. DKIO gets used.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas