[Libcdio-devel] Re: libcdio-0.83git on Solaris snv134 sees no drives

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Re: libcdio-0.83git on Solaris snv134 sees no drives
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 13:54:07 +0200

Hi,

> I'll probably be heavily occupied the entire month of June

That will give me more time to find solutions.

> I'd prefer a general-purpose SCSI/MMC way to
> do this on Solaris such as by iterating over
> the collection of SCSI devices.

It seems that
  /dev/[r]dsk/c*t*d0s2
provides a superset of such an enumeration.
An extra effort compared to
  /vol/dev/aliases/cdrom*
is to distinguish CD drives from other device
types.

Currently i experience two conceptual problems
with changing the source of Solaris drive list
from /vol to /dev :

There are two device files for each drive
  /dev/dsk/cXtYdZs2
  /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZs2
Mounting used /dsk/ whereas growisofs docs
demand /rdsk/.
So the access mode decides over the
suitability of the address. But there is
no access mode associated with device listing.

Remedy proposal:
libcdio could internally and transparently
choose the right directory depending on the
access mode when it is defined.
The device list would always show the
/rdsk/ form. That's because SCSI command
INQUIRE can only be applied to this form.
It is needed to distinguish CD drives from
hard disk or other devices.

There is no fixed address for a default drive.
But without default drive there hardly runs
anything in cdio_get_devices_ret().

Remedy proposal:
I will try to use the first listed CD drive.

Hopefully there is no recursion circle between
default device determination and drive opening.
I installed a check for that in my experimental
code.

Currently i riddle why
      cdio = cdio_open_am_solaris("/dev/rdsk/c2t4d0s2", "SCSI");
needs 10 seconds to succeed, whereas the other
DVD drive and the hard disk open quickly.

And why must i be superuser although my normal
user has rw-permissions for /dev/rdsk/c2t4d0s2 ?
Command cdrecord is actually a script doing:
   pfexec "`dirname $0`/`basename $0`.bin" "$@"

So i do sucessfully
   pfexec example/drives
and wonder why there are restrictive permissions
at all if everybody can perform any command with
superuser authority.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas