[Libcdio-devel] Re: mmc_get_disc_erasable proposition + questions

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Re: mmc_get_disc_erasable proposition + questions
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 13:41:11 +0100

Hi,

Frank Endres wrote:
> I also have one question: I have a DVD+R (Verbatim) that is not detected as
> a DVD by the cdio_is_discmode_dvd function. for this media, discmode is
> CDIO_DISCMODE_DVD_OTHER.

The reason seems to be a mistake in
include/cdio/dvd.h :

  #define CDIO_DVD_BOOK_DVD_PR  8 /**< DVD+R  */

This should be 10, not 8.

lib/driver/gnu_linux.c has this gesture
  ioctl (p_env->gen.fd, DVD_READ_STRUCT, &dvd)
  switch(dvd.physical.layer[0].book_type) {
  case CDIO_DVD_BOOK_DVD_PR: return CDIO_DISC_MODE_DVD_PR;

A DVD+R of mine yields 10 here and is not
recognized by src/cd-info --dvd :
  Disc mode is listed as: Unknown/unclassified DVD

MMC-5 Table 401 gives this list
    0x0  DVD-ROM
    0x1  DVD-RAM
    0x2  DVD-R
    0x3  DVD-RW
    0x4  HD DVD-ROM
    0x5  HD DVD-RAM
    0x6  HD DVD-R
    0x9  DVD+RW
    0xA  DVD+R
    0xD  DVD+RW DL
    0xE  DVD+R DL

So 0xA = 10 is indeed what a DVD+R should say if
its book type is set to default.
This value is adjustable by a DVD burner, though.
(Profile would possibly lie in a DVD-ROM,
 book type lies if told to do so.
 One should use profile if it does not say
 DVD-ROM or BD-ROM. Only then one should inquire
 DVD Book Type or BD Media Type ID.)

I changed the definition of CDIO_DVD_BOOK_DVD_PR
to 10 for a test. Now i get:
  Disc mode is listed as: DVD+R

Frank Endres wrote:
> my point of view is a burning application

But you don't plan to use cdrecord for writing
to DVD+R, do you ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas