[Libcdio-devel] Re: --enable-cpp-progs and removal of exposed driver enu

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Re: --enable-cpp-progs and removal of exposed driver enumerations
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 12:17:55 -0400

2009/8/6 Stanislav Brabec <address@hidden>

> Rocky Bernstein wrote:
> > If I recall correctly, the feeling was that packagers wanted smaller
> > distributions and/or don't want the C++ code. This is why
> > --enable-cpp-progs by default is disabled. One of the major proponents
> > of this point of view is Flameeyes.
>
> Packagers are always free to split packages or use --enable-feature/
> --disable-feature to fit their needs.
>
> Common rule of upstream is: enable everything that has all dependencies
> installed and what is mature enough.
>
> Anyway, packaging of libcdio was a nightmare due to several build
> dependency loops.
>
> openSUSE 11.2 builds will use this way:
> 1) build libcdio-mini (minimalistic staging package)
> 2) build libcddb with exclusion of utilities
> 3) build vcdimager using libcdio-mini and libcddb
> 4) build libcdio using vcdimager (that needs libcdio-mini), libcddb
> 5) build libcddb utilities using libcdio
>
> Only build of base system and avahi package are comparably complex.

Sorry to hear.

> > If you could work up a patch to fix this, that'd be fantastic.
> > Thanks.
>
> I will look at it.

If you have thoughts about how to reduce the complexity in packaging or
better have a way to set up configuration options to address this that would
be most welcome as well.

A Systems Administration principle is relevant here: never ascribe to
maliciousness or willful intent that which can easily be explained by
oversight or ignorance.