Re: [Libcdio-devel] unexpected offset in bincue.c for audio sectors

From: Robert William Fuller
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] unexpected offset in bincue.c for audio sectors
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 00:53:53 -0400

An update on this:

The 272 byte offset (68 sample) for CD-DA was removed from bincue.c and cdrdao.c and the regression tests fixed up. The code was emulating the offset on the original author's CD drive. Unfortunately, there isn't any standard for the read offset manufacturer's use. It's just sloppy hardware (The exception being certain Plextor models that had no offset.) This is an interim fix until we decide how something more sophisticated should look and behave.

There are numerous issues to address before we add audio read offset correction to the library. Briefly:

1. Should the audio read interface remain sector-based when offset correction will result in sector reads that straddle sector boundaries?

2. Should the library attempt to overread into the lead-in or lead-out to get missing samples on either the first or the last track (depending on whether the read offset correction is negative or positive)? Note that overread is not supported by all drives and locks up some systems!

3. How do we detect a drive's read offset without resorting to accessing a proprietary database such as the Accurate Rip database?