Re: [Libcdio-devel] Removing the libpopt dependency in libcdio, darwin8

From: Steven M. Schultz
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Removing the libpopt dependency in libcdio, darwin8
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:54:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, R. Bernstein wrote:

>  > Darwin larry 8.2.0 Darwin ...
>
> I guess I should have since this is one of the computers I used for testing
> Darwin.

        ;)

> A recent change was to add the configure testing for darwin8 same as
> darwin6 and darwin7 (see the change to configure.ac). So my confusion

        Well, as I recall darwin7 was/is OSX 10.3 and 'larry' was running
        that up until earlier this year - so it's not surprising that
        darwin7 worked ok.  Don't know about darwin6 since it's been eons
        since I had an OSX 10.2.x system around.  Can't remember if I was
        tracking/building libcdio at that time or not.

> The patch uses GNU getopt_long instead.

        That's fine - got that too :)

>  > - since libpopt is needed for other things it's not a hardship to have ...
>
> I think one of the things that people tend to stumble on is that that
> libpopt is by default not installed.

        Lots of things aren't installed by default (peak at /usr/local/src
        on larry some time :-)) -  libcddb 1.2.x for example (minimum version
        changed recently - not a big deal, went and installed it :)).

        But if one less thing depends on libpopt that's fine - always wondered
        why getopt() wasn't good enough anyhow :)

        Cheers,
        Steven Schultz