libann-users

[libann-users] Building on Windows

From: John Darrington
Subject: [libann-users] Building on Windows
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:00:58 +0800

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 02:35:56PM +0200, Lorenzo Natale wrote:

     I've seen the actual code is meant to be compiled with gcc;

It's *meant* to be compiled with any ANSI compliant C++ compiler and
STL library.  So far as I'm aware, no such animal actually exists, but
gcc comes close.

     since
     I'm a  windows user I had to do some (minor) changes in order to
     make it work.

I used gcc to develop / test the library because that's what was
available to me.  Can you please send me a patch of the changes you
had to make and I'll incorporate them into the code.

     To  cut it short, I think it would be very nice if
     the forthcoming new version  was platform indipendent. If no one
     else is already doing it, I could take  care of this. What do you
     think ?

Libann indeed aspires to be platform independent so far is this does
not interfere with its development.  For example, I'm told that the
Windows compiler does not support covariant return types.  If we
covariant return types are the best thing to use in the design, then
we'll not settle for second best just to keep a broken compiler happy.

Regards

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3