Re: SSH revised

From: Lluis
Subject: Re: SSH revised
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:19:25 +0100

El Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 08:45:52PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann ens deleità amb les
següents paraules:
> The question that I raised in my initial mail is basically what it should
> mean to have a "user session" in the context of SSH.
>
> So, uhm, maybe executing a shell command won't be a problem once I
> have a user session.  So let me ask back: How do you think you get
> one?  And what does it mean to "have" one in technical terms?

Well, I'll say just what I said on my last mail, but with fewer words...

  - What do you get when you log in locally?
  - And how?

I think that ssh is just the same, the only difference is the type of
"virtual terminal".

The process could be something similar to:
C - Connect to server
S - "SSH handshake" (whatever it does)
C - send username & password
[ this where the system-dependant magic happens ]
S - check authorisation tuple and get a user rights bundle (whatever it is)
S - spawn a "login process" from that user (with the corresponding rights)
    with input and output redirected to the relevant handlers (e.g. ssh vs
    monitor+keyboard)

It sounds easy... ;)

Read you,
  Lluis

 Tollbooth

 Listening: Dream Theater (Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From A Memory) - 02.
Overture 1928