Booting

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Booting
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:43:13 +0100

Hi,

Currently my system boots until task. I still haven't tried Marcus' deva things. Anyway, I was wondering what more is needed to boot the system.

I would expect that after task, a ramdisk can be used as rootfs, from which deva can be started. I know the idea is to use a working deva for starting rootfs, but that would put limits on the deva boot (with a root fs, it can consist of normal processes, as they have everything they need: physmem, task, and rootfs). Since a ramdisk wouldn't need any device drivers, I don't see a problem with it.

Well, I see one problem: the ramdisk is only used for bootstrapping, and should be disposed of when the system is running. So it would be useful to have a "change root fs" method at least for deva and the first device drivers (particularly harddisk and the "real" rootfs).

Am I right that "normal" processes can be started when the root fs is ready? Can libc already be compiled? (I expect every normal process to need it.)

Thanks,
Bas