Re: local vs global object IDs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: local vs global object IDs
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:18:09 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 06:04:32PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> I am aware of your concerns.  However, I don't think that in this case there
> is
> a relationship to that discussion.  The global or local object ID component
> is completely implemented within a server.  A persistent server will preserve
> local _server side_ IDs as well as global server side IDs.
>
> The issue you raised in your mail was about using global identifiers that
> are not under the direct control of the server, such as its thread IDs.

I think the issue is more about using global IDs (on the client side) to
refer to communication channels.  Thread IDs in L4 _are_ global, while
ports in Mach are local (however, the issue in Mach is that one cannot
control the way ports are allocated).

Adding a 'persistent' bit to the version ID would work, but it has
limitations.

Thanks,
Ludovic.