[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Mach on L4
Re: Mach on L4
22 Jul 2001 23:53:44 +0200
Gnus/5.0807 (Gnus v5.8.7) XEmacs/21.1 (Channel Islands)
Farid Hajji <address@hidden> writes:
> > [...] I envision more of a portability layer with an interface
> > similar to that of the Linux kernel's architecture-dependent part
> > (although hopefully a bit cleaner). Let's call this KAL
> > (``kernel-abstraction layer'') for a moment.
> As a *BSD-guy, I'm not very familiar with Linux internals, so I'll
> have to figure out what you mean with "architecture-dependent part"
> by diving in Linux's sources ;-). I'm acquainted to FreeBSD und NetBSD
> internals though, so I can roughly imagine what you mean here.
To get the general idea, have a look at
(Postscript version at
In that report, I documented part of Linux' architecture-adaption
layer's interface. (The report corresponds to an ancient version of
Linux, but it should be enough to give you the idea.) Yes, I guess
that it is similar to the BSDs' portability layer's interface.
> > - Don't assume your basic RPC mechanism can transfer system-object handles
> > (handles for threads, address spaces, etc.).
> I understand the rationale behind this. It seems like this will be quite
> hard to enforce though. Okay, I'll try to come up with a basic model.
> I'd need help here though (suggestions, ideas, etc.)...
Your KAL interface doesn't have to have the same restriction, as long
as a KAL implementation can deal with the issue internally.
> ~/.plan: pondering about the first practical steps of Hurd refactoring,
> then getting back to l4-hurd with a proposal-draft.
- SawMill Multiserver vs. the Hurd, Farid Hajji, 2001/07/05
- Message not available
- Re: SawMill Multiserver vs. the Hurd, Farid Hajji, 2001/07/06
- Mach on L4 (was Re: SawMill Multiserver vs. the Hurd), Michael Hohmuth, 2001/07/12
- Re: Mach on L4 (was Re: SawMill Multiserver vs. the Hurd), Farid Hajji, 2001/07/17
- Re: Mach on L4, Michael Hohmuth, 2001/07/18
- Re: Mach on L4, Farid Hajji, 2001/07/18
- Re: Mach on L4, Michael Hohmuth, 2001/07/19
- Re: Mach on L4, Farid Hajji, 2001/07/20
- Re: Mach on L4,
Michael Hohmuth <=
- Re: Mach on L4, Farid Hajji, 2001/07/22
- Re: Mach on L4, Jan Atle Ramsli, 2001/07/23
- Re: Mach on L4, Farid Hajji, 2001/07/24