koha-zebra

[Koha-zebra] Re: Import Speed

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: [Koha-zebra] Re: Import Speed
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 07:29:41 -0800

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:04:48AM +0000, Mike Taylor wrote:
> Hmm.  Well, compared with the previous truly astonishing time of 40604
> seconds, that's a better than fivefold improvement, which is not a bad
> start.  But, still -- more than one second a record, we still have
> _plenty_ of scope for improvement here.
>
> How busy is your disk now?
It's a remote machine ... do you have suggestions for a utility that
measures disc usage on the fly?

> > So it's definitely better without the search, but there is still the
> > question of XML ... being able to import raw marc (which would only
> > take a few seconds) would be really nice ...
>
> I agree with Seb that the XML is unlikely to be culprit here: the
> actual indexing is the only thing I can think of that would show the
> pattern you see of taking longer as the database grows.
OK ... but if you look back at that benchmark, the majority of our
time is now spent converting from marc21 to MARCXML (it seems the
most proc intensive part of this is the conversion from MARC-8
encoding to UTF-8). So even if Zebra is quite fast indexing XML,
we still have quite a bit of overhead getting the records into
XML. I suppose I should do a test where I pre-process the records
(convert from MARC to XML) and _then_ import. Whadya think?

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS