koha-zebra

Re: [Koha-zebra] A few ZOOM::Package questions

From: Sebastian Hammer
Subject: Re: [Koha-zebra] A few ZOOM::Package questions
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:24:39 -0500

I can answer one of these.. I think the other ones are mostly for Mike.

Joshua Ferraro wrote:

Hi guys,

Just got a few questions about ZOOM::Package:

In the documentation, the example listed is:

$p->send("createdb");

I'm assuming this is a typo and the actual service
type is just 'create' ... right?

Does Zebra support the 'itemorder' service type? if so, how is it
used?
No, this is generally used to support ILL, which of course isn't relevant for Zebra.

There are a couple of profiles at the Z39.50 maintenance agency describing how to use ItemOrder to carry bits and pieces of the ISO ILL protocol through Z39.50 ItemOrder. Mind you, this is very rarely used, to my knowledge.. the more common approaches involve ILL directly over TCP/IP or SMPT. Of course, some consortia use NCIP to support ILL-like operations, as well.

--Seb

Will ZOOM support the 'drop' send() method at some point?

What are the case scenerios where the 'commit' method would be
useful?

What is the xmlupdate method? :-)

We're trying to figure out when it would be useful (if ever) to
use recordIdOpaque and/or recordIdName. The only reference to them
I can find is here: http://www.indexdata.dk/zebra/NEWS where it
says:

"Allow Remote insert/delete/replace/update with record, recordIdNumber
(sysno) and/or recordIdOpaque(user supplied record Id). If both
IDs are omitted internal record ID match is assumed (recordId: - in
zebra cfg)."

Could someone provide a couple case scenerios where these would be used?

When would it be useful to populate the databaseName option? Isn't
that already provided by the $conn object? or can we connect to
multiple databases in that object and then specify which one we
want the specific package operation to be performed using that
option?

Finally, no mention is made of the record update 'syntax' option in
the ZOOM documentation. Is it supported? if so, what are the valid
values?

Thanks,

--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data