koha-zebra

Re: [Koha-zebra] A few Zebra Questions

From: Mike Taylor
Subject: Re: [Koha-zebra] A few Zebra Questions
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:22:09 GMT

> Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:55:10 -0500
> From: Sebastian Hammer <address@hidden>
>
>> Does Zebra allow any kind of database replication, master/slave or
>> master/master relationships? (or alternatively, are there methods
>> to communicate between two or more Zebra servers?)
>
> Oooh.. serious dream project. I have fantasized about this for
> years.  But no, there is nothing built into Zebra today.
>
> One somewhat obvious way to approach this would be using
> OAI-PMH.. the LoC is presently contemplating awarding us a little
> money to support an OAI server function in Zebra.

Why?!  What on earth does OAI-PMH bring to the party that Zebra
doesn't already support natively through Z39.50 and/or SRU?  For
example to search for records updated since 15th December:

        rec.lastModificationDate >= 2005-12-15

It would be the work of a moment to set up a periodic polling daemon
that use a query such as this to check for changes to a master Zebra
database and propagates them to a slave.

>> Is there any foreseeable way to get around the speed issues with
>> updating that would make it feasible to store status data quickly?
>
> What is the issue here -- the ability to use circulation status as a
> filter in bibliographic searching, or what?

Another question that immediately occurs is: _what_ speed issues?
Have you actually seen any?  Do you have any numbers?

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <address@hidden>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Press any key to continue or any other key to quit" -- Jeff
         Covey.