koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Koha Foundation

From: Rachel Hamilton-Williams
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Koha Foundation
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:12:01 +1200

Hi

Joshua Said...

Over the past few weeks we've discussed the idea of forming a Koha
Foundation -- a non-profit organization for Koha. I'd like to open
this topic up to koha-devel to hear what your reasons are for wanting
such an organization, as well as how you think it should be set up
(and where). Any takers?

I'm a taker :-)

MJ Ray Said

I'm a bit surprised this asks for my reasons for wanting such
an organisation, rather than asking *whether* I want such an
organisation. I think it sounds like needless bureaucracy and a
chance to waste money on accountants, solicitors and corporate
administration. What benefit would it offer over becoming a
project of a recognised host foundation such as Software in
the Public Interest (SPI)? http://www.spi-inc.org/

Rachel Says

We (Katipo) have tossed around the idea of setting up a Koha Foundation over the last couple of years for a number of reasons. The core one though is to make Koha more palatable and understandable to bigger public libraries in particular.

They understand that a not for profit organisation would give away software but I think are somewhat distrustful of private companies doing so. It would fit their "world view" better or something.

The idea of being able to take donations is appealing, not that we've been offered any, but you never know, and being able to apply for funding would be useful too I think.

So for me what I'd most want to get out of a Foundation is an understandable narative to tell prospective clients. It would be great if it was international, and had basically had the "mana" (which is a word that is hard to translate, but sort of "earnt respect & authority"), to speak for Koha, and to reassure libraries that Koha is a real going concern.

For me, it's not particularly to make it easier for coders or even to greatly improve the quality of the product - although those would be good things as well if we can achieve them, it's just that I don't necessarily think that a foundation/umbrella organisation would inherantly do so.

I see setting up a foundation as a tool for selling an idea to libraries, and possibly as a way to ensure the ongoing shared governance of the project - which is what clients want I believe

Cheers
Rachel

--
Rachel Hamilton-Williams