koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Koha 2.2.6 = version numbering + Roadmap

From: Pierrick LE GALL
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Koha 2.2.6 = version numbering + Roadmap
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:37:03 +0100

Sorry for my previous mail, I've used the wrong mail account, now it
should be good.

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:55:33 +0100
Paul POULAIN <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hélas, joshua & chris hacked a lot of things here (why ? I don't
> know. Maybe it's to introduce new features that can't wait for 3.0),
> thus my "problem".
> (The next problem will be to port the improvements to head...)

Before joining Koha team, I was wondering how different
developers (having each several customers) managed to work on a single
stable branch. Obviously, Joshua & Chris needed improvement on branch
2.2 without waiting for branch 3.0.

In a "brave new world" each Koha installed "in production" would have
its own branch, maintained by several developers. There would be
official stable branches (HEAD, 2.2, 2.4, 3.0), official releases
(2.2.6, 2.4.0, 3.0.0, 3.0.1), and customer branches (emp-1 based on
2.2.6 level, emp-2 based on 3.0.0 level). (emp stands for Ecole des
Mines de Paris).

What I describe here is not feasible with CVS. Using a distributed
code source management system (GNU Arch, Bazaar NG, darcs) would be
the most appropriate solution, but harder to use. A good first step
would be to use Subversion (SVN) instead of CVS. SVN make branches
management and code modifications report between branches a lot easier
(I've migrated from CVS to SVN elsewhere).

Quickly discussed on IRC yesterday, I took a look at SVN on Savannah
but this service is not available yet :-/

Sorry, my feeling is that I made a fork on Paul's topic!

Cheers,

--
Pierrick LE GALL
INEO media system