koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] inflexible field types for call numbers

From: Albert P. Calame
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] inflexible field types for call numbers
Date: Thu Jun 12 06:58:13 2003

Hi All!
    I'm not sure I understand all the programming stuff about the types of
fields, but I have to concur that the data should be stored in such a way so
that the call numbers can be entered in such a way as to reproduce the Call
Number Label on the spines of the books.  The MARC21 structure provides for
this by having several subfields devoted to that specific information.  As
long as the fields can contain enough data (I suggest 16 characters to
account for even the longest Dewey likely to be used with 12 places after
the decimal - a string not floating point as mentioned, or possibly for a
complete surname which is sometimes entered in the case of a biography [some
names could well exceed the 16 chars]).  Those subfields are:

Tag 852  with subfields -

$h - Classification part (NR) (Dewey or LC Classification numbers, such
Alpha Classification as E for Easy, B for Biography,etc.)
$i - Item part (R)  (Used for author letters, cutter numbers, or sometimes
biographees last names)
$k - Call number prefix (R)  (Like REF for reference collections, etc)
$m - Call number suffix (R)
$t - Copy number (NR)

[This information comes from the MARC Standards page at the Library of
Congress Web page with my comments in parentheses after the designation of
repeatable or non repeatable]

The MARC structure, with subfields k, i, and m as repeatable does take care
of places to store the Call Numbers appropriately.  The only problem I can
see is that the biblioitems table needs to be able to store the information
in the same way, and koha needs to be able to display the repeatable
subfields appropriately also. Display order would normally be:
k, h, i, m, t.

Display has always been a problem  with fields that may be longer that would
fit on a single line of a label, hence the addition of break characters that
you may see sometimes as apostrophes in the middle of  long Dewey  Class
numbers.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem and results in programming that
makes the display and storage of Call Numbers in koha work in a way that
will suit all levels of users.

Regards,
Al Calame

Consultant,