koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: cataloging on the koha ils

From: Rosalie Blake
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: cataloging on the koha ils
Date: Thu Oct 31 16:41:06 2002

Hello Michelle,
I can only answer part of your question, but I'm sending both your
question and my reply to the kohalist, where people with eperience
in MARC will pick it up, and offer some more answers, I'm sure.

Koha is easy for novice cataloguers. As a small public library, we
don't need detailed cataloguing for most records, and we do need
fast records - we like to get our books on the shelf without delay. So
we don't import MARC records any longer. We used to, but gave it
up some years back, when we realised it wasn't meeting our needs -
too slow and too detailed, and sometimes not appropriate.

But I am very well aware that other libraries' priorities are different,
and a team of Koha developers has been working on the MARC
interface - notably Paul Poulain. I will leave him to comment on your
questions about auto-coding.

We love Koha. But then it was written to meet our needs, so we
would say that, wouldn't we? But I can also say that everyone else
here also likes it - and I'm thinking especially of people like
volunteers, borrowers, casual users, all of whom find it easy to use.
We are particularly proud of Acquisitions, which gives us much
better budget control that we ever had in the past.

We are just in the process of re-developing our web page
(www.library.org.nz), improving the integration with the OPACs and
adding functionality for our members to access their own records
and renew and reserve from home. Watch out for it towards the end
of this month.

Cheers,
Rosalie Blake
Head of Libraries, Horowhenua Library Trust