js-shield

0.16 released

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: 0.16 released
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 09:26:11 +0200

Hello,

0.16 is out:

    Remove Workers in Recommended JSS level to make JShelter compatible with
some pages. This change might be reverted when Pagure issue 80 is solved.
    FPD: Add possibility to learn the calling stack of functions that lead to
the tracked APIs (Pagure issue 52). This information can be used to create
block list or to study the calling code and its effects.
    FPD: Fix browser overloading by FPD messages by
HTMLElement.prototype.offsetHeight and offsetWidth wrappers that might have
crashed browsers.
    FPD: code cleanup

The new version is available in AMO for more than one day. I hope that I will
be able to publish on Chrome Store on Monday, so it should be available to
users on Tuesday. Pagure issue 52 adds a completely new use case to JShelter.
One can learn which scripts actually perform the fingerprinting and tweak block
lists accordingly.

Some observations from AMO stats:

* We have users on quite old Firefox versions. There is someone using Firefox
80 or 71alpha, for example.
* AFAIK the most historic ESR currently supported is 102. We have only 1-2
users using older Firefox each day.
* I was thinking about removing the window.name protection from Firefox as
Firefox 88 has the same protection built-in. But I will wait more time. On the
other hand, the removal would have only an effect only on few users.
* We have 6-7 users on Android. It could be more but I only see daily users.
* We are gaining more users but these are likely connected to the yearly cycle.
There is a drop in daily users each summer (the nord hemisphere) as people do
not use their devices daily. They are back to their rutines.

Best wishes,

Libor