js-shield

Re: Discussion plans for today

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: Re: Discussion plans for today
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:29:20 +0200

Hello Ricardo,

sorry for the late reply. My comments are inline.

Hi all,

We've been twisting Doxygen in creative ways to accomodate the site needs, but
got to a point where we're looking at the current situation and could use your
feedback regarding how to move forward and finish things. With Doxygen, we're
hitting some clear limitations:

  * Translation support will be hacky and difficult, since Doxygen works from
code comments; gettext has no easy way to support translation of comments.
  * Doxygen templating is experimental and mostly undocumented. We've been
running into strange bugs and coming up with even stranger workarounds
  * Ẁhile setting up the static blog using Pelican, we will also have to
visually pretend that it's one site instead of two (Doxygen for docs and
Pelican for posts). Doable but not as easy to manage and maintain.

We were taking a step back to look at this and trying to understand if all the
hacks are worth it.

Sure, this seems like a perfect moment to step back.

The main reason that we have been sticking with Doxygen has been to easily
extract the wrapper descriptions from the source code. So far, we haven't been
using the Doxygen function reference + automatic function listing.

So we would ask you about the possibility of making the main site in Pelican,
with any necessary technical documentation additions handled by Doxygen
whenever needed. Here's a possible plan:

 1. Create a script to extract the wrapper descriptions from the comments, and
save them into Markdown files for Pelican.

Just to make sure, we have also comments not only for wrappers but also for
other code like
https://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~ipolcak/jsr/doxygen/html/alea_8js.html. But I guess
that you mean all code, not just wrappers.

 2. These Markdown files can be easily translated using Weblate or another
framework that we decide upon.
 3. If any special page or resource from Doxygen is needed, we can generate it
separately with Doxygen and copy over the relevant files to the Pelican site
output.

 From your side, not much changes: you can still edit the wrapper descriptions inside the
source files, and they're automatically converted to Markdown files for Pelican when
generating the site and blog. On the other hand, if we are not okay with the fact that
there's two "single sources of truth" (description in source code + description
in markdown file), we can evaluate in the meeting whether we can come up with a suitable
workflow that saves time for everybody.

AFAIU English comments are planned to be a part of the source code files.
English markdown files will be created automatically. Translated texts will
need to be written in Markdown and the translation needs to be revisited after
every change in the English text in the comments in the code.

Do I understand correctly?

Thanks

Libor