js-extensions-discussion

State of the Project

From: jahoti
Subject: State of the Project
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 09:55:00 +0000

Before anything significant happens here, I think it would be a good idea to raise/discuss some broad points relating to this enterprise.

Firstly, at the suggestion of RMS, I've put up a somewhat ugly list of every extension addressing this problem I know of at http://ctrl-c.club/~jahoti/browser-extensions/index.html (including my own soon-to-be-released HieloJS). If anyone has others or better links for existing entries, they would be very welcome.

Following on from that, some general questions:

* Would all of these sites best be handled by extensions, or might some be better addressed with proxies (like Indivious and Nitter) or stand-alone clients? At least one stand-alone client will necessarily be a part of the project, as Mozilla's own developer hub can't be fixed with WebExtensions.

* Has anyone informed the IceCat developers of this? The separate work done on extensions as part of that project would likely be better incorporated into this one, which would also allow more frequent updates than to the (relatively stable) core browser components.

* Would it be preferable to have a single monolithic extension, or one extension per site? IceCat has moved towards a single extension, and I have also adopted that approach for now with HieloJS: it allows sharing of libraries, ensures new fixes are automatically made available, and makes it possible to present any preferences in one unified system. However, if separation of fixes has greater benefits, that should not be too difficult to adopt.

And finally, some comments on specific items:

* WorldCat doesn't seem to have any critical issues with JavaScript disabled. Could someone point out to me what needs to be addressed?

* Would https://github.com/berbaquero/reeddit be suitable for Reddit? Even if it's not, Reddit is widely used and hacker-friendly enough that it seems best to try searching existing projects before writing entirely new code. If any code is to be written, I'd even suggest a proxy might be better suited to the purpose.

* Is there any reason for choosing accuweather.com in particular? If not, might it be worth investigating other sources of forecasts? At the very least I'd expect governments might make information available in a way that could be downloaded for presentation on a website.

~~~ jahoti