jessie-discuss

[Jessie-discuss] Re: [GNU Crypto] RFC: merging GNU Crypto and Jessie

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: [Jessie-discuss] Re: [GNU Crypto] RFC: merging GNU Crypto and Jessie
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:49:48 -0800

On Dec 6, 2005, at 1:14 AM, Raif S. Naffah wrote:

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 18:42, Casey Marshall wrote:
A few of us have been throwing around the idea of merging GNU Crypto
and Jessie into GNU Classpath, so Classpath will have full support
for crypto and SSL "out of the box." We've proposed this before, and
I think this idea was mostly approved by the group, but no-one ever
got around to doing it.

I'd like to propose again that we do this. I'll try to get to this
myself, but if I can't get this done, we'll at least have a plan of
action. I propose that we

   - Rename the root package 'gnu.crypto' to 'gnu.javax.crypto' in
GNU Crypto, and merge the current CVS sources into Classpath (not
under external/). We then put GNU Crypto into a kind of "stasis"
mode, and continue to develop these sources in Classpath.
   - Rename the root package 'org.metastatic.jessie' to
'gnu.javax.net.ssl' in Jessie, and merge the current sources. Then,
I'll stop developing that branch on its own.

does this mean that Classpath's crypto classes will be using the GNU
Crypto "assembly, cipher, hash, key, mac, mode, pad, prng and "sig"
sub-packages with the "jce" wrappers?

Basically yes. The goal is to merge "everything with a JCE wrapper," because that will fill in many algorithms present in proprietary VMs, but currently missing in Classpath.

Things without JCE wrappers don't really make sense for Classpath, because they aren't portably accessible.

Thanks.