jessie-discuss

Fwd: [Jessie-discuss] Handshake timeout - preventing DoS

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Fwd: [Jessie-discuss] Handshake timeout - preventing DoS
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:33:49 -0800

I see Apple has not yet perfected the "do what I mean" button in Mail.app. Again, for the list, from the right address:

Begin forwarded message:

From: Casey Marshall <address@hidden>
Date: November 10, 2005 8:50:21 PM PST
To: Martin Egholm Nielsen <address@hidden>
Cc: Jessie <address@hidden>

On Nov 10, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Martin Egholm Nielsen wrote:

Hi Casey,

Trying to make my webserver (more) robust against DoS (Denial of Service), I've noticed that one can easily make Jessie "occupy" and block during handshaking. This can obviously be done by telnet'ing the server on the used port, and then just do anything with that telnet connection...

So in order to prevent this hanging there forever, flooding the server with open connections, it would be nice if was possible to set a timeout value for the handshake.

And now you say, why not just use "setSoTimeout()" from you application before reading anything from the socket. But that timeout value will then have influence on the rest of the "read"'ing that initiated the handshake...

Aha, yes, but you can also register a HandshakeCompletedListener with the socket that resets the socket timeout to your "normal" read timeout when the handshake is finished.

Having Jessie do this for you (probably through a security property) is still a good idea, though; if I did implement this it would probably use socket timeouts, anyway.