jessie-discuss

Re: [Jessie-discuss] TLS Delegation

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Re: [Jessie-discuss] TLS Delegation
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:26:25 -0700

On Jul 23, 2005, at 12:15 PM, andrew cooke (noao) wrote:

Hi,

Does jessie have support for "TLS Delegation" as described in
draft-ietf-tls-delegation-01.txt (eg
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02mar/I-D/draft-ietf-tls- delegation-01.txt)

I'm afraid not; this is actually the first I've heard of that or seen the Internet-Draft.

This allows the creatoin of a proxy cert on the server, signed by the client.

If not, does any other JSSE implementation do so?

I don't know of any, but I would doubt that any would, if this is a somewhat obscure feature, that was never finalized as an RFC.

This is used in grid
computing, typically, where a user transfers authority to a service
working on tehir behalf.

It sounds interesting!

Perhaps — and this is something I've thought of just now — the best way to implement something like this (and, any other TLS extensions that add a new content type) would be to allow pluggable content-type handlers, where you can register a handler for a given content-type, and Jessie would delegate to that code when such a message was received.

I'm in the middle of reworking Jessie, mostly to support nonblocking I/O, but I'll consider doing something like this.