jessie-discuss

[Jessie-discuss] Creating a certificate - initialising KeyManagerFactory

From: Martin Egholm Nielsen
Subject: [Jessie-discuss] Creating a certificate - initialising KeyManagerFactory from source
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:28:53 +0200

Hi there,

Comming closer to getting Jessie up and spinning, I've stumbled into yet another question: Is it possible to initialise the KeyManagerFactory with certificate-"stuff" created at runtime?

I reckon I cannot use the initialise-method taking a KeyStore, since Jessie requires this being pre-initialised. And I recall having seen in the doc that Jessie doesn't have a keystore-"implementation" - so this is out of the question.

So I put all my faith in the "PrivateCredentials"-class. However, initialising this requires a stream to a certificate-chain: PrivateCredentials#add(InputStream,InputStream)
and this requires this chain to be created somehow.
And that's is actually my question: Can I create this certificate-chain stuff at runtime - using just Jessie, GNU Crypto, and GCJ/Classpath?

The motivation: I'm creating an embedded application that is going out to many customers. I would like each of these applications to have a unique (snakeoil) certificate, so that in case one certificate's private key is compromised, none of the others are endangered.

BR,
 Martin Egholm