jami

Re: No cross-platform operation

From: Nick Econopouly
Subject: Re: No cross-platform operation
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 12:14:41 -0500

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 20:51 PM Bruce Lilly wrote:
> I have Jami installed on Android TV (specifically Nvidia Shield TV),
> version 20210226-01.  I have set up an account and profile.
>
> I also have jami installed on a couple of Android phones (same version as
> above, though it looks very different), and on a laptop computer running MS
> Windows (version unknown, other than "Beta").
>
> When I try to link some other device to the account set up on Android TV, I
> enter the account password and a PIN is generated.  The instructions say to
> use "Link this device to an account".  But the Android phone app has no
> such thing that I can find, the closest being "Connect from another device"
> under "Add Jami account".  That pops up "adding account", then "Please
> wait", and after a few seconds "Can't find account".

Hmmm, so this seems like a bug in the Android app. "Connect from another
device" is the correct option. It works for me, but you're getting
"Can't find account" when you put the correct PIN in the field?

> On the MS Windows version, there is something almost (but not quite) what
> is described; "LINK THIS DEVICE TO AN EXISTING ACCOUNT" (the differences
> being the screaming all caps and the additional word "existing").  Entering
> the password and PIN and "Link device"
> yields "Generating account" (not "adding" as in the Android phone app),
> followed by "Error while creating your account. Check your credentials.",
> which also differs from the Android phone app message.

This may be a bug, but to start with, do you have the latest versions of
Jami on all of your platforms?

> The Android phone app created an unnamed account with a ridiculously long
> hexadecimal "identity"; I can connect to the Android TV app from it, but
> that's unsatisfactory; what I want is one properly-named account (as set up
> on the Android TV app) used across all of my devices.

Yes, this is possible. The 40-bit Hex number is your Jami Id but you can
choose a display name and/or register a username, as well as link all of
your devices to the same account. But to start with, can you make sure
you have the latest apps on your platforms and try it again? And then
we can see if we need a bug report or other next steps.

Best,
Nick