jami

[Ring] suggestion: personal proxy to avoid IP address tracking

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: [Ring] suggestion: personal proxy to avoid IP address tracking
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 08:07:36 -0400

The DHT feature of ring is useful in that it allows people to
communicate in degraded network environments (as long as users can find
the DHT, but that seems more robust than having one's own VPS up and
reachable)..  However, it has serious privacy issues.

Using SIP/ZRTP on one's own server has different properties.  It's more
vulnerable to blocking (or just failures during messy times).  But,
other than those who observe the user-device proxy traffic, the user's
location is not exposed to the rest of the world at all times.

(I realize SIP and IP address exposure is complicated.  But complicated
is better than publishing your address in a DHT 24h a day.)

So, I wonder if ring should grow a mechanism where a user can run a
proxy process that does the registration, so that a single long-term IP
address is in the DHT, and call traffic is indirected through that.   A
user could turn that off, or use a different proxy, if the proxy fails,
so the robustness should still be available.

Perhaps I'm heading down the path of describing ring over i2p/tor
(ignoring the udp/tcp issues).