Re: [Jailkit-users] Jailkit with no usermod, possibly useing pam_chroot

From: Paul Gildea
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] Jailkit with no usermod, possibly useing pam_chroot
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 16:34:17 +0000

Hi!

I saw your reply to me in the archive but it didn't come to my inbox, so I just saw it today sorry!
Thanks for the help. It turns out the issue is the home directory being in the format expected for jk_chrootsh.
Oh and I had to manually copy /dev/null (cp -af /dev/null /mnt/dev/null), maybe I forgot some part of the process that copies that automatically, or had to alter an .ini file for the path.

For anybody else this is what my entries looked like for pam_chroot to work(https://code.google.com/archive/p/pam-chroot/downloads 0.9.2), same as what was recommended:

Both /etc/passwd and /mnt/etc/passwd:
chrootuser:TDzElZZ4KyEe.:1003:1003:Linux User,,,:/home/chrootuser:/usr/sbin/jk_lsh

For some reason the root credentials are being copied to /mnt/etc/passwd automatically when i create the jail, but I'm not sure why.
I manually edit that file, remove that line and add my user and everything works, and ssh fails, perfect!

When I ssh to the system and I am denied, on the system this appears on the user CLI, I'll have to try and hide that:

[username]#  sshd[14917]: error: openpty: No such file or directory
 error: session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed

Thanks for the help!

--
Paul