[Jailkit-users] I have no name!

From: Tomi Leppänen
Subject: [Jailkit-users] I have no name!
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:10:01 +0300

Hi
I have a problem with jailkit. When I login to chrooted user I get following error message:
groups: cannot find name for group ID 1002
and my prompt looks like this:
I have no address@hidden:~$

whoami, id and groups can't find names and /etc/passwd and /etc/group seem to be allright. http://pastebin.com/igYbkaEc (expires in 30 days, I'll post a new one if needed)

It looks like group id and user id don't get associated with their names. I have some (about five years now) experience in Linux and its command line but I couldn't figure this out. Why this happens? How could I fix it or is it a bug?

My setup is Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS (64-bit) and Jailkit build from source (no package or repository) and version is 2.15. The same happened on a fresh Virtualbox installation of the same software.

Thank you for your help.
 - Tomi