Re: [Jailkit-users] I can't add jailed users

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] I can't add jailed users
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:47:16 +0200

On 08/09/2010 09:55 PM, Becky Johnson wrote:
> Today I set up jailkit and no matter what I cannot get users to login
> properly. Here is a complete list of what I tired.
>
> I wanted a jailed folder with scp and sftp.
>

> First I did these commands:
>
> mkdir /var/www/vhosts/NAME_OF_DIRECTORY jk_init -j
> /var/www/vhosts/NAME_OF_DIRECTORY jk_lsh jk_init -j
> /var/www/vhosts/NAME_OF_DIRECTORY sftp jk_init -j
> /var/www/vhosts/NAME_OF_DIRECTORY scp
>
> Then
>
> adduser demo passwd demo
>
> (make the password for the user)
>
> Then:
>
> # jk_jailuser -j /var/www/vhosts/wimaxcsv test home directory
> /home/test is not within /var/www/vhosts/wimaxcsv/, move the
> directory contents?
>
> Said no.

you'll have to mannualy make sure that the home directory exists inside
the jail, otherwise the usser cannot log in.

> We just want to keep home/  at the very top of our whole directory.
> The user folder was created at /home/demo. which is what we want. But
> it still didn't work.
>
> jk_jailuser -j /var/www/vhosts/NAME_OF_DIRECTORY demo

the home directory must be inside the chroot jail, otherwise there is no
home directory for the user. (the user cannot see anything outside the
jail!)

> Could not connect to server.  The user name or password was not
> accepted by the server.

what is in the logfiles? try:

grep jk_ /var/log/*