[Jailkit-users] chrootlaunch from inittab

From: DTakemori
Subject: [Jailkit-users] chrootlaunch from inittab
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:35:29 -1000

Hello,

I am trying to jail a perl daemon that is launched (and automatically
respawned if it dies) from /etc/inittab on a CentOS 5.2 server.

The /etc/inittab entry looks something like this:

N1:345:respawn:jk_chrootlaunch -u foo -g foo -j /var/foojail -x /usr/local/bin/foo -- -c /usr/local/etc/foo.conf

Where /usr/local/bin/foo is a perl script which reads in /usr/local/etc/foo.conf.

I believe I have initialized the jail correctly because I can run the jailed daemon from
the command line as root

address@hidden ~ ]# jk_chrootlaunch -u foo -g foo -j /var/foojail -x /usr/local/bin/foo -- -c /usr/local/etc/foo.conf

and the daemon runs as expected.

The problem is that when run from the inittab, it seems to die immediately:

Mar 16 16:16:16 testmachine init: Id "N1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

There is no other log from either the foo script or jk_chrootlaunch.

What am I missing?

Dean Takemori
Systems Support Supervisor
TD Food Group