Re: [Jailkit-users] Re: Beginner Question - Security consequences of use

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] Re: Beginner Question - Security consequences of use chroot
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:14:50 +0100

Kevin Hilton wrote:
> Can you tell me how to mount a filesystem with the noexec property??
> I using ubuntu linux, however I'm sure your example will be for all
> linux systems.

the file /etc/fstab holds all information on all filesystems that can be
mounted. One of the entries is the options for the filesystem, such as
noexec,noatime,nosuid. By default this entry has the value "default".

To change an entry such that no executables can be started, change
'default' to 'default,noexec'

> My only complaint or possible problem is with WinSCP.  Ive seen from
> other users in the forum this utility does not work well a limited
> shell.

that is a limitation of winscp. By default it expects a bash like shell.
However, if you set winscp to use SFTP mode without fallback it will
work with a limited shell.

regards,