Re: [Jailkit-users] jk_chrootlaunch processes staying around?

From: Gregory Piñero
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] jk_chrootlaunch processes staying around?
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:34:34 -0400

On 10/30/07, Olivier Sessink <address@hidden> wrote:
> >     proc =
> > subprocess.Popen(command,shell=True,stdin=subprocess.PIPE,stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
>
> what does shell=True do?

I'll see what happens without shell=True when I get home tonight.
Perhaps there was some change in that behavior between 2.4 and 2.5.

In the meantime here's what the docs for 2.5 say:

On UNIX, with shell=False (default): In this case, the Popen class
uses os.execvp() to execute the child program.  args should normally
be a sequence.  A string will be treated as a sequence with the string
as the only item (the program to execute).

On UNIX, with shell=True: If args is a string, it specifies the
command string to execute through the shell.  If args is a sequence,
the first item specifies the command string, and any additional items
will be treated as additional shell arguments.

-Greg