[Jailkit-users] Bug: users with a dot in $HOME trigger jk_check

From: Adam Katz
Subject: [Jailkit-users] Bug: users with a dot in $HOME trigger jk_check
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 01:53:37 -0500 (EST)

jk_check will check a non-jail if a (non-jailed) user's home directory has
a dot in it; I have a user whose home is hidden at /foo/bar/foo/baz/.home,
and this somehow prompts jk_check to check an assumed jail located at
/foo/bar/foo/baz (paths changed to hide identities).

I changed that user's home to /foo/bar/foo/baz/home and then jk_check only
complained about the owner and permissions on /foo/bar/foo/baz, (it did
not check that directory as if it were a jail).  This means I had two
lines of output (an error and a warning) rather than several thousand.

Are jails supposed to be auto-detected based on /etc/passwd entries?  Is
the jk_check program supposed to verify ownership and permissions of
parents of home directories?  (I believe the best answer is "no" to both.)
I expect there is an easy fix to this (simply only check jails noted in
jk_check.ini and those provided on the command line).

I am running an up-to-date Debian Sarge with the latest jailkit .deb
package (1.3-1) from the official jailkit site.  Checks were run by hand
via sudo with `sudo jk_check` and `sudo jk_check -v` as well as explicitly
stating the only jail on the system, `sudo jk_check -v /jail`

Thanks for supporting jailkit, and thanks to Olivier for his development!
-Adam Katz