ipfc-developer

[Ipfc-developer] Roadmap IPFC

From: Tycho Fruru
Subject: [Ipfc-developer] Roadmap IPFC
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:07:20 +0200 (CEST)

Hello (and welcome to all the new members),

It has (again) been very quiet on this list ... But here is another
overview of where we stand and where we're going to :

Notable bugs :

- Agents don't seem to always follow the right file.  Debugging is going
on, this is related to access vs modification time processing. ETA: today
:-)

Notable new features :

- New database structure makes database more logical, queries faster AND
space consumption smaller.

- Incoming events are XML decapsulated in the event-reader and not in the
parser (which was redoing the work the event-reader had already done ...)

- IPFC can now parse and follow in real time Checkpoint NG logs and NG
admin audit logs

- Standardisation of attribute names.  (docs/attributes.txt)

Notable elements on the roadmap :

- More parsers !  Requests (or new parsers) welcome :-)

- Small user-interface changes
        - Forward / Back buttons
        - Export results as CSV
        - Always include a time restriction on searches (waiting time)
        - Always include a time restriction on searches (search in events
          up to  x hours/days/weeks/months ago)
        - Automatic choice of "sort" ordering to maximise database index
          usage

- In addition to the existing HTTPS-PUT method of sending events, an
XML-RPC message queuing interface will be provided to maximise
interoperability with existing and future technologies.  Fully functional
XML-RPC clients exist in almost all programming languages.

- Evaluation of a more radical file-system based approach of storing all
data with on-demand index building.  I'm still tinkering with this
approach and have some encouraging results.  This needs lots of work so if
anyone is interested, please contact me.