info-mtools

Re: [Mtools] Reading label from a large capacity memory card

From: Alain Knaff
Subject: Re: [Mtools] Reading label from a large capacity memory card
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:37:44 +0100

Simon Large wrote:
> Alain Knaff wrote:
>> Simon Large wrote:
>>> But after putting that in the problem still remains. For my 8GB
>>> memory card the XdfOpen() call succeeds and maxsize is set to
>>> max_off_t_31, which seems to be where the limit lies.
>> Under normal circumstances, XdfOpen() should only be used on floppy
>> disks. The problem here is that it succeeds on a memory card, it
>> should not. This is weird, as XdfOpen checks both that the use_xdf
>> flag is set on the device descriptor, and that the geometry is
>> compatible with XDF... Could you send me the (partition's) boot
>> sector of that memory card?
>
> The requirement to read the volume name went away, so I have not used
> mtools for some time :-(

No problem, my fault. I took indeed way too long to repond :-(

> Further information - the card I was trying to read was actually SDHC,
> not SD, although I guess that is obvious from the capacity. If you are
> still interested I can extract the boot sector, but I will need to dig
> out the system it was running on.
>
> Pardon my ignorance (we're mostly a Windows shop here) but if you can
> give me an appropriate 'dd' command line it will save me guessing and
> sending you a file of useless garbage ;-)

Assuming the card is on /dev/sda (first SCSI-like device), firs partition:

dd if=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=1 of=bootsector.bin

Replace /dev/sda1 as appropriate. (/dev/sdb3 for third partition on second
SCSI-like device, etc.)

>> On failure, SimpleFileOpen does not initialize maxSize, but in that
>> case it is not needed anyways.

Exactly.

Regards,

Alain