info-mtools

Re: [Mtools] clusters 8193-14592

From: Alain Knaff
Subject: Re: [Mtools] clusters 8193-14592
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:56:48 +0100

eric larson wrote:
Mcopy is failing to correctly fill in values for clusters 8193 to 14592 in the second allocation table. All other values in
the second table are correct, as well as all values in
the first allocation table.
I only see this problem when my FAT is configured to use 512
bytes per logical sector.
The problem does not appear if I use a larger sector
size by using mformat with the argument "-S 3", even though
I am allocating sectors 8193 to 14592.

What could cause this hole in the second allocation table?

Thank you,
Eric

Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce this problem. Maybe the problem depends on some very specific geometry settings? (number of heads, number of sectors?).

Could you maybe send me an image which exhibits the problem (second FAT not updated when copying a file which falls on these clusters), or, if not possible, mail me a sequence of commands which produce this problem starting from an empty filesystem.

Regards,

Alain