info-mtools

Re: [Mtools] Formatting large capacity SD cards

From: Alain Knaff
Subject: Re: [Mtools] Formatting large capacity SD cards
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:47:06 +0100

Simon Large wrote:
Hi folks,

I am trying to get a 4GB SD card working on Windows and Linux. At the
moment a card formatted on Windows will not mount using kernel 2.6.16.
The help doesn't give many clues about how to pick the right number of
heads/tracks/sectors/sector-size. Any ideas?

Normally, the vfat FS should mount the card no matter what number of heads, tracks, sectors are used to format it.

Do you get any error messages when attempting to mount the card? Kernel error messages are displayed using dmesg.

Also, be aware that I only do mtools. The in-kernel Vfat and Fat filesystems (that are used for mounting) are handled by Werner Almesberger, as far as I known.

Also, you should only access cards or disks using one method at a time. That is, never use mtools on a mounted card.

I found an error in the output of minfo where it gives an mformat
command line to use.

(values read back from a 256M card)
sectors per track: 63
heads: 255
cylinders: 32
sector size: 512 bytes
hidden sectors: 99

mformat command line: mformat -t 32 -h 255 -s 63 -H 99

I think that should be: mformat -t 32 -h 255 -n 63 -H 99 -S 2

Simon

Yes, indeed. Minfo leaves away the sizecode of the mformat command line. However, in the common case of 512-byte sectors, the sizecode is redundant anyways, as it is the default.

However, I'll add the feature in the next patch (display sizecode if different from 2)

Regards,

Alain