info-mtools

[mtools] MTOOLS security question - Unused File Space from a file's EOF

From: Stone, Todd -Systems
Subject: [mtools] MTOOLS security question - Unused File Space from a file's EOF to end of physical block on disk
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:27:40 -0500

Our system contains both UNCLASSIFIED and CLASSIFIED data.  Our security agency
(AF-CERT in our case) have procedures for copying from a mixed classification
system to UNCLASSIFIED media.

Files occupy full blocks and the concern is over contents of the unused (slack)
space between the files's EOF (End-of-File) marker and physical end of the data
block as occupied on disk.  This unused data could be considered CLASSIFIED if
contents aren't zeroed out.  Does or has anyone modified MTOOLS to clear
unallocated (slack) space?

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are proprietary and intended
you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note
that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Industries, Inc. The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. ITT Industries accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.