info-mtools

[mtools] mtools on OS X

From: Robert Ewald
Subject: [mtools] mtools on OS X
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:09:45 -0500

I'd like to use mattrib to manipulate the hidden attribute on a FAT formatted USB key under OS X. After configuring/making the source I get the following error:

$ mattrib +h /Volumes/CRUZER/._Untitled.rtf
Drive 'A:' not supported
Cannot initialize 'A:'

I guess this has something to do with the definitions used for floppy disk devices not matching what is used by OS X in devices.c. While my powerbook doesn't have one of course, the following is under the /dev directory:

$ ls -l /dev/fd/
total 0
crw--w----   1 rob   tty      4,   2 29 May 15:45 0
crw--w----   1 rob   tty      4,   2 29 May 15:45 1
crw--w----   1 rob   tty      4,   2 29 May 15:45 2
drw-r--r--  56 rob   rob        1904 27 May 14:38 3/
dr--r--r--   2 root  wheel       512  4 May 18:57 4/

The USB key in question is mounted from /dev/disk2.

Am I using mattrib wrong or does this really require a programming change? If so I'll see what I can do.