info-mtools

Re: [mtools] floppyd: authentication failed device locked

From: Alain Knaff
Subject: Re: [mtools] floppyd: authentication failed device locked
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:57:15 +0100

On Thursday 23 December 2004 08:05, Mahesh M. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using floppyd for terminal servers (LTSP). After
> using any defective floppy the floppyd daemon does not
> clear the lock file and refuses further use of
> floppies on the terminal:
> Authentication failed, device locked.
[...]

In today's version
(http://mtools.linux.lu/mtools-3.9.9-20050228.diff.gz), I performed
some refactoring in floppyd which should address this issue, and a
number of others.

1. Locking is now redone using lockf/flock, instead of an auxiliary
   file. This kind of lock is automatically released if the process
   that holds it dies. This also better matches the behavior of the
   rest of mtools, which is already using lockf or flock.

2. Floppyd now supports multiple devices. Just specify more than one
   device on its command line:
     floppyd -d /dev/fd0 /dev/sda1

   To distinguish them in mtools, append //0, //1 after $DISPLAY:
     # Remote floppy drive
     drive x: file="$DISPLAY//0" remote

     # Remote flash reader
     drive y: file="$DISPLAY//1" remote