info-mtools

RE: [mtools] New to list

From: David C Niemi
Subject: RE: [mtools] New to list
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:48:52 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 address@hidden wrote:
> Any information on how I might go about changing this? I really need to
> be able to set attributes on doublebyte and extended character
> filesystems.

It'll involve incorporating a real Unicode infrastructure into Mtools
which can figure out how doublebyte characters correspond to ASCII and/or
DOS code pages.  Off the top of my head I'm not sure just how large a
project this would be, but it certainly isn't trivial.  It might be
possible to leverage an existing one when available, and maybe falling
back on current behavior if it isn't.  Currently characters are mapped
just by ignoring the high byte and assuming a 1-1 mapping, which is quite
broken of course when real Unicode happens.

If you want a quick workaround and you are using Linux, you might consider
the VFAT file system support built into the kernel (i.e. mount it as a
file system and then muck with the characters).