info-mtools

[mtools] "mcopy myfile . " disasters

From: Stephen Tashiro
Subject: [mtools] "mcopy myfile . " disasters
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:31:09 -0600

There is probably no good reason for anyone to type the command "mcopy myfile .", but I have done such a thing several times accidentally when meaning "mcopy myfile a:" or something similar. The result is that myfile becomes a file of zero bytes. I'd suggest that mcopy produce an error message to the effect of "cannnot copy a file onto itself" rather than destroying myfile.

--
Stephen Tashiro

"Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of
computers."