info-gnus-english

Re: Signing a message with S/MIME in Gnus?

From: Jens Lechtenboerger
Subject: Re: Signing a message with S/MIME in Gnus?
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 19:55:02 +0100

On 2022-11-03, at 07:21, Angel de Vicente wrote:

> So, I was actually thinking of going for the second option: use SMIME
> when I send from the address in the certificate, and use PGP when
> sending from this gmail address. But now I need to figure out how to
> tell Gnus to do that. Right now I have the following, which makes sure
> that by default I will be always signing with SMIME. Do you know if
> there is an easy way to set these depending on the "From" address?
>
> ,----
> | (add-hook 'gnus-message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-sign-smime)
> | (setq mml-secure-method "smime")
> `----

This might be possible with Posting Styles if your e-mails with
different senders are in different groups.  See variable
gnus-posting-styles and the info page to which it points.  To me,
the following part seems promising.  Note that the body string could
be a function call that produces a secure tag.

             ((posting-from-work-p) ;; A user defined function
              (signature-file "~/.work-signature")
              (address "user@bar.foo")
              (body "You are fired.\n\nSincerely, your boss.")
              ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.example.org 587")
              (organization "Important Work, Inc"))

Best wishes
Jens