Re: RSS with Gnus (elfeed backend?)

From: Garjola Dindi
Subject: Re: RSS with Gnus (elfeed backend?)
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 11:59:28 +0200

On Sun 04-Apr-2021 at 02:06:32 +02, Eric Abrahamsen
<eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> writes:
>
>> On Fri 02-Apr-2021 at 20:21:07 +02, Tim Landscheidt
>> <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> wrote:
>>> Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> wrote:
>> What I have in mind is writing a light Gnus backend (inspired for
>> instance from the one for Twitter that Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote [1]) that
>> just uses elfeed behind the scenes.
>>
>> The difficulty is that I do not understand how a Gnus backend works, so
>> I will have to study this first.
>>
>> If anybody can point to an easy to understand Gnus backend to get me
>> started, I would be very grateful.
>
> Check the "Gnus Reference Guide" section of the Gnus manual, in
> particular the second section, "Back End Interface". But you won't like
> it :)

Hi Eric,

I have (tried to) read this part of the manual. Not easy, particularly
the fact that the 2 sections on required and optional functions do not
mention de OO interface which appears later.

Right now, I am studying these backends:

nndiscourse - https://github.com/dickmao/nndiscourse.git
nnhackernews - https://github.com/dickmao/nnhackernews.git
gnus-twit - https://github.com/larsmagne/gnus-twit
nntwitter - https://github.com/dickmao/nntwitter.git

And I go back and forth between the manual and the source code of those.

I have also succeeded in generating buffers with contents from elfeed
functions, so I guess its just now a matter of time and struggle.

It is not yet clear to me if there would be an interest in deriving from
nnrss and just reimplementing the appropriate functions.

I have started a repository
(https://gitlab.com/garjola-emacs/nnelfeed/-/tree/master). There is
nothing useful there yet. Just some ideas, but I hope I will be able to
have some progress in the next months.

If anybody can give some pointers to other ressources I could have a
look at, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.