Re: How to access HTML DOM/source of MIME part?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: How to access HTML DOM/source of MIME part?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:39:11 -0700

Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> writes:

> I wrote:
>
>> […]
>
>> *But* your pointer gave me the idea that I could iterate
>> over shr's buttons like gnus-collect-urls does, test if
>> their URLs match Item_x_Link_B's typical pattern and then
>> offer to browse them.  This would require that
>> Item_x_Link_B's pattern is (relatively) stable; I have to
>> check whether that will work reasonably well.  Thanks!
>
> It's not that simple :-(.  For starters, some of my newslet-
> ters shorten all URLs, putting them into the same format.
>
> But more importantly, with Emacs 26.3, (forward-button 1) in
> an HTML mail will always move point to the beginning of the
> *Article* buffer because (button-start button) returns
> (point-min) for some reason.  (In my use case, I can proba-
> bly work around that by calling next-button directly.)
>
> Is this a bug?  What is the best way to create a minimal re-
> producible example?

I know it's not helpful, but quick testing with Emacs master (28) seems
to work fine. If I display the html part of an article, move point into
the article buffer, and run (forward-button 1), point moves correctly to
the first button.

Something to be aware of is that, sometime not too long ago, Lars
re-implemented links in article bodies using widgets instead of buttons.
TBH I don't really know what that means, or what the implications are,
but it's probably good to know.

Eric